- Graduate Gemologist, GG (1981)
- Master Gemologist Appraiser, ASA (1983)
- Senior Gems and Jewelry Appraiser, NAJA (1988)
- Accredited Senior Gemologist, AGA (1990)
- Accredited Senior Appraiser, ASA (1990)
- Fellow of Gemological Association of Great Britain, FGA (1997)
- Diamond member of Gemological Association of Great Britain, DGA (1998)
- Certified Insurance Appraiser, CIA (2004)
Cortney Balzan's many accomplishments include:
- In 1992, he helped coordinate GIA's first Advanced Diamond and Colored Stone Grading Course.
- He was the first to introduce Yehuda clarity enhanced diamonds to the industry for educational studies nationwide and with GIA.
- He coordinated many educational conferences throughout the United States on important gemological/valuation topics as Regional Governor, Historian, Vice President, and two terms as International President of the Accredited Gemological Association (AGA).
- For three (3) consecutive years, he was named WHO's WHO in the U.S. Diamond Education World by De Beers U.S. Liaison.